Current Portfolio

We have currently provided financing and support to the following emerging social ventures:

 

 

 

Funded: 2012
Website: http://www.ecofuelafrica.com/

Eco-Fuel Africa is a social venture based in Uganda that makes and distributes organic charcoal from agricultural waste as an alternative to wood-fuel. To do this, it purchases agricultural waste from rural farmers, and uses this waste to manufacture bio-char. Currently, wood-burning is the cheapest method to cook and boil water, and this has resulted in deforestation of over half of the trees in Uganda. The Eco-Fuel model allows:
a) rural farmers to have an additional source of income, improving their standard of living
b) the creation of green jobs for un-employed and under-employed young people in Uganda
c) an alternative source of cooking fuel for villages in Uganda that is cheaper than the market rate for wood.

Profits gained from Eco-Fuel will be partially driven into reforestation efforts, with a goal to plant 250,000,000 trees in Uganda by 2020.

Currently Eco-Fuel is in the pilot phase, and once proven has plans to scale up through a micro-franchising model in the coming years.

 
 

Funded: 2012
Website: Under Construction

Taka Taka Solutions works to address issues of waste management in urban Kenya. Currently only 1/3 of waste is collected for proper disposal; the rest remains uncollected, which causes severe health and environmental problems. Around 2.5MM people can’t afford waste collection services.

Through their innovative business model, Taka Taka Solutions picks up organic and inorganic waste from local residents in urban Kenya. Inorganic waste is sold to recycling centres, while organic waste is taken to processing locations and turned into high-value fertilizer. Their model compostes or recycles 80% of waste, leaving only 20% for landfills.

This model is projecting to provide 1,600 jobs by 2015, with the majority of these jobs going to local youth groups, which are composed of unemployed or under-employed youth.

 

 

 

 

Funded: 2011
Website: http://livelyhoods.org

With increasing rates of urbanization in Kenya, the population of slum communities is growing. Jobs for youth are not.

Livelyhoods create jobs that allow youth to earn an income and have an impact on their community as they distribute life-changing products that are not yet available in urban slum communities.  Our products include clean burning cook stoves, solar lamps, reusable sanitary pads and eco-friendly fuel briquettes. These products offer cost-savings immediately or over time, in addition to improving the productivity and health of those living at the poverty line.

Livelyhoods helps previously unemployable youth to build their financial capital by earning a stable income, to build their human capital by developing marketable sales skills, and to build their social capital by learning to effectively communicate and create relationships with customers and members of their community.

Global Catalyst Initiative funded Livelyhoods’ pilot phase in 2011. Since then, they have successfully secured an additional round of funding, and have plans to scale their model through 2012.

 
 

 

 

 

 

 
Funded: 2011
Website: http://www.experienceeducate.org

Educate! unlocks the potential of African youth to solve their
communities’ greatest problems of poverty, disease and environmental
degradation.  Educate! currently provides a proven mix of a leadership
course, long term mentoring, practical experience solving a community
problem, and an alumni network for 830 high school aged youth in Uganda.

In 2011, Global Catalyst Initiative funded an offshoot of Educate!, focused on enabling
alumni to become changemakers in their communities.  Specific resources include training in microtechnologies such as fuel efficent stoves and solar panels, microloans of those
technologies, and seed grants for business and community initiatives.

Comments are closed.